Got fizz? Kombucha is a fermented drink made from sweetened tea that has been brewed using a macroscopic solid mass of microorganisms. It’s said to contain essential nutrients like probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants, polyphenols and active enzymes which have many health benefits!
In this workshop we provide you with an alternative to commercially produced Kombucha by teaching how to brew your own, saving you lots of money and getting unique flavors.
In this workshop we will cover:
- The health benefits of drinking Kombucha – miracle elixir or miraculous myth?
- Discussion of the different ingredients and how they affect flavour and quality of your brew.
- Full instructions and demonstration on how to make kombucha including primary and secondary fermentation.
- Tasting Kombucha at different stages.
- Demonstration of how to store your kombucha tea and how to keep fresh drink always available.
- How to create more fizz in your kombucha.
- Discussion on what can go wrong and what to do.
- Creative ways to use all those SCOBYs!
Plenty of kombucha samples will be provided during the workshop and you’ll get a healthy Kombucha SCOBY to take home. This workshop goes much more in-depth than what is covered in our Fermentation Basics Workshop.
Workshops are approximately two hours and take place in the east end of Ottawa (near the Rideau Tennis Club), accessible through public transportation. You will receive the address once your register.
Cost: $35. Participants will leave with a kombucha SCOBY, recipes, and very detailed instructions. We also offer online support after the workshop.
July 12, 6:30-8:30 pm
Aug 30, 6:30-8:30 pm
About your Teacher
I am a certified Herbalist and soon to be Holistic Nutritionist. My passion for all things food led me down the path of fermentation. I learned how to ferment by going to workshops and through years of experience and experimentation. I’ve made every mistake and have tried a variety of techniques that I am eager to share with you! Most recently, I was accepted into a coveted mentorship program with fermented food guru Sandor Katz (Sandorkraut). I am passionate about giving people the information and skills so they can take control of their health and nutrition – simply and effectively.
Should you need to cancel your workshop reservation for any reason, you must do so at least 7 days before the day of the workshop to receive a full refund minus $3 for administration fees (Paypal charges). Any reservations cancelled within 7 days will not be eligible for a refund. To cancel, please contact us.